The Maritime Association of SC (MASC) is a Non-for-Profit member-based trade association that connects the maritime industry and entities that support maritime commerce. The MASC serves as a platform for information dissemination, collaboration, and partnership within its membership. The MASC advocates for issues impacting the industry and serves to advance, promote and protect the interests of the maritime community across South Carolina.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility to lead the day-to-day business of the Association, MASC staff, Association programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. She or he will initially develop deep knowledge of the field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
Applicants should send their resume to Bradley Kerr at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Leadership & Management:
• Serves as a facilitator to the Board of Directors
• Ensures ongoing Association success through consistent financial stewardship, administration, fundraising, communications, and event planning and execution; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals to the MASC Board of Directors
• Effectively engages board members and energizes MASC’s volunteers, committees, alums, partnering organizations, and membership at large.
• Supports the MASC Board of Directors; serves as ex-officio of standing committees; seeks and builds board and at-large membership involvement with strategic direction to maintain and grow the Association
• Creates complete business plans for the attainment of goals and objectives set by the board of directors
• Develops and implements strategies to promote the organization’s mission and “voice.”
• Creates complete business plans for the attainment of goals and objectives set by the Board of Directors
• Builds an effective team of leaders by providing guidance and coaching to subordinate managers
• Ensures adherence to the organization’s daily activities and long-term plans to established policies and legal guidelines
• Reviews staff and committee reports ensuring understanding of the Association’s financial and non-financial position
• Devises remedial actions for any identified issues and conducts crisis management when necessary
Fundraising & Communications:
• Direct and oversee investments, revenue, and fundraising efforts
• Forge and maintain relations of trust with shareholders, partners, and external authorities
• Develop and implement strategies to promote the organization’s mission and “voice.”
• Act as the public speaker and public relations representative of the company in ways that strengthen its profile
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to the MASC’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Specific requirements include:
• Advanced degree ideal with at least ten years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance/outcome-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth and value
• Unwavering commitment to the Association’s success
• Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams of volunteers, set and achieve objectives, and deliver meticulous budget management
• Exceptional meeting facilitation skills and ability to effectively collaborate with diverse and dynamic groups
• Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
• Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
• Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
• Self-directed mission-driven passion, integrity, and positive demeanor