The Ports Authority is calling on members of the Maritime Association to support plans for redevelopment at the Union Pier.
“With great public and city input, we have created a plan to transform Union Pier into a new mixed-use neighborhood with significant public assets for the city,” the Ports Authority explains.
Submit comments in support of the project for the city’s TRC meeting coming up. The comment portal is open now here: https://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_05182023-8286
The Maritime Association would also urge members to attend the June 7th Planning Commission meeting to speak in support. It will be at the passenger terminal. Doors open at 3:30, and the meeting starts at 5 pm.
More details on upcoming meetings can be found here: https://www.unionpiersc.com/public-meetings
Support this project if you want to see this in downtown Charleston:
· More green spaces and public parks throughout the city and along the water
· More access to the waterfront and a five-acre park built over the piers
· A waterfront walking path connecting Waterfront Park to the International African American Museum
· A restored Bennett Rice Mill Façade surrounded by a grand park stretching to the water
· More office, retail, restaurants and commercial spaces to create jobs and support our economy
· 310 more affordable housing units on the peninsula and a long-term revenue stream to support future units
· An extension of existing streets, new sidewalks and more biking paths for better connectivity
· State-of-the-art flooding measures and coastal resiliency plans incorporated at every step
· A beautiful mixed-use neighborhood designed for Charleston